Thursday 17 September 2009

Are All High Heels Stilettos?

The simple answer to my title question is "no". However, if a recent online search is anything to go by, most high heels available today are described as stilettos, even though they are most definitely not stilettos. Unlike those by RoSa Shoes which most definitely ARE stilettos. To illustrate, here's a photo of my leg and a RoSa High-Heel Oxford Lace-up:



Let's remember that the original Italian stiletto heels of the late 1950s were so named because of their resemblance to the stiletto dagger - a sharp, narrow-bladed instrument capable of deep penetration (ooh!). These original stiletto heels were constructed from a slender, solid metal stem bedded into a carved wooden base - a highly labour intensive manufacturing process. Most high heels today are mass-produced and are plastic-moulded with an internal metal tube for reinforcement. This construction obviously limits how thin the heel can be.


Our heels, manufactured by Italian craftsmen by combining the original techniques with modern technology, are a mere 5mm wide! Out of interest, that's about the same as the hollow metal tube inside a typical moulded plastic high heel.


Now, there are drawbacks to walking on real stiletto heels - one must of course take extra care to avoid cracks in pavements for example. I'm thinking that in my next video I could show you how I cope with this problem. "About time!" I hear you cry - yes, I know it's been a while since my last video offering. Patience, dear reader. Keep watching this space!